Normally, for an entrepreneur, carrying out a new project without support of any kind can be a risky sport. In this context , startup accelerators are playing a very important role in creating new businesses.
Index of contents:
- What are Startup Accelerators?
- What is the job of accelerators?
- How to choose an accelerator?
- Examples of accelerators
One of the main difficulties that entrepreneurs encounter when embarking on their idea is the initial outlay and the second is the acquisition of customers from scratch. We tell you what accelerators are and how they help Startups by supporting them with initial capital, mentoring and the ability to expand the network of contacts.
Index of contents
What are Startup Accelerators?
A startup accelerator is an institution whose main objective is to promote the first phases of a startup. They help these new technology-based companies to find their workspace, in addition to providing initial seed capital that allows them to see the viability of the idea and its business model in a short period of time.
Unlike Incubators , startup accelerators only invest in those startups that are in full development, helping them through mentoring and advisory processes. Incubators accompany startups for a limited period of time until they get the first benefits and they take off.
What is the job of accelerators?
The main claim of accelerators to attract new startups is the investment of initial capital . These companies provide seed capital in low amounts in exchange for sharing the benefits that the startup generates.
Another attraction of accelerators are mentors . These figures are the main support that startups have to develop their proposals and give life to their business model. Hand in hand with professionals, they will put company activities into practice and receive training on possible improvements that can be implemented.
In addition to these factors, the advantage of being part of an accelerator is the wide network of contacts that you can have; not only at the mentoring level, but also to introduce you to future investors.
How to choose an accelerator?
What is recommended to startups is to bet on Accelerators that have had success stories; however, the fact that an accelerator is large does not guarantee success for your project. The search for specialized accelerators in your sector will be beneficial when it comes to meeting advisors and investors who may be interested in your project.
When choosing an accelerator for your startup, and that it chooses you, not only the project you present counts, but also the team that integrates it. Surround yourself with professionals who defend your business model, in such a way that it attracts the interest of accelerators and investors in the future.
Examples of accelerators
In Spain we have several accelerators that have successfully promoted Startup projects. Here is the list of the most outstanding ones:
- Seedrocket . The first Spanish accelerator focused on technology-based companies (ICT). His methodology and advice is practical, surrounding himself with professionals in the sector; It has also been the driving force behind the successful startups Offerum, Kantox or Glamourum, among many others.
- Shuttle . This Valencian accelerator promoted by Juan Roig with the aim of supporting entrepreneurial leaders in the creation of efficient companies.
- Connector . Based in Madrid and Barcelona, the company led by Carlos Blanco and Risto Mejide among others, is committed to a profitable and attractive investment model for startups, with technical training (especially linked to sectors such as entertainment or internet) and building a solid network of contacts between professionals in the sector and entrepreneurs.
- Nuclio . It is an accelerator specialized in sectors and channels in which it is still possible to innovate, with the capacity for rapid growth and with possibilities for the international market . Its methodology is mainly focused on teamwork or “ideal team”.
- Wayra . The accelerator belonging to Telefónica is present in many countries around the world, creating an attractive network of contacts for all those startups that want to take the big leap. Mentors and specialized services are their main claim, as well as wanting to go much further in the acceleration process.
- Cuatrecasas . This accelerator has a law firm with a presence in 12 countries in Europe, America, Asia and Africa. Its great knowledge and experience in the legal sector has achieved consolidation in this field as an accelerator.
- Other accelerators internationally are YCombinator , whose claim is their initial investment model in which they bet on an amount of $ 120,000 for different startups. Its objective, that all of them culminate on the day of the presentation before investors to make future companies take off. On the other hand, we can see Techstars , the second most important American accelerator or Angelad , who chooses 12 startups with which it works over 10 weeks promoting its projects. In South America , 21212 stand out , which seeks to promote all those startups in Brazil and its surroundings with its partners in New York or Startuprio , focused on technology-based companies and social innovation that enter an acceleration phase over 4 months.
- You have been wanting more, we have on our Twitter a complete list of the main accelerators in Spain. Subscribe !
You’ve been wanting more, here is a complete webinar for you to enjoy:
For all those who are thinking of starting their own business project, but do not know how to start, we recommend the Master in Business Creation: the IEBSchool Entrepreneur Startup , where we will teach you all the steps you have to take to get your project launched successfully.
Do you want to continue learning how to improve your Startups? Here we tell you some of the Marketing strategies for Startups that will help you boost your business.
- Excubator: no incubator, no accelerator
- Differences between incubators and accelerators
- Accelerators of Spain that you may not know
Master in Digital Business & Lean StartUp
Learn the steps you have to take to successfully launch your project